Clicky

Can Yahoo Turn Around?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by tommymac, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tommymac Member

Message Count:
    With the recent news that Dan Loeb, one of the largest of Yahoo share holders dumped about 15% of his stake in the company, I am starting to wonder if Yahoo has much life left. I outsources its search to Bing, has no social network, no operating system, no browser and no prospects. Is anyone even using its messenger service anymore? All it has is name recognition.

So, what do you think, folks. Is this the beginning of the end? If not, what can Yahoo do to turn itself around?
  2. sidney Member

Message Count:
    I think that Yahoo has enough popularity to stay afloat in the web, because it was one of the 1st email providers available and a lot of people still use their email service. Not to mention that Yahoo News, Messenger and Answers are still very popular.
  3. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    ^
    I though that their new CEO, Marissa Mayer has started to address their problems? I think it is still possible for Yahoo to improve their standing and all that's left is for its shareholders is to trust Mayer.
  4. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    I don't know about the messenger, but I think they still have a few services that people still like. I don't think they can compete with Google on a large scale, no, but I don't think they're going to die yet either.
  5. concerto49 Member

Message Count:
    Bing / Facebook is the other competitor. I don't think Yahoo has a leg to stand. No mobile access, no social media access, etc... nothing out of the ordinary anymore. They do have a higher presence in Asia though.
  6. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    What do you mean Yahoo has no mobile access?
  7. Capt Thanks New Member

Message Count:
    Merissa Mayer knows how to create a clean, fast, user friendly experience as she was one of the brains in keeping Google's home page clean. I can see that she is starting to turn that sinking ship around. Flicker was almost a ghost town but now it's beginning to gain back members and gaining marketshare. There is still a long hard road to go but with Mayer at the helm, Yahoo has a bright future.
  8. Spaced

Dante848 New Member

Message Count:
    I think services like Answers and Email can keep them alive. It is ranked #4 in the world on Alexa. So I really don't think it will be going anywhere, anytime soon. I know a lot of friends that use Yahoo Mail still, not sure why, but they do. As for the messenger, I think that will die off soon. But not Yahoo entirely, not for a long time.
  9. seotut Member

Message Count:
  10. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    I don't think Yahoo will return to its former glory, but it won't completely die out either. I no longer use Yahoo services, but I sometimes visit the site for the latest news. I have family members and friends who still use the site.
  11. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
  12. Bauss Member

Message Count:
    I believe Yahoo is a lost cause, and google will continue to dominate the internet for years to come. They never seem to do anything above average. They need some creative minds working for Yahoo.
  13. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    ^
    Regarding Google's dominance, yes, they really have monopolized the entire online market by offering hundreds of top notch products to their customers. They also started to create their own tablets and I read that they are going to create a Google Store that will open on major cities in the States.

The first thing that I think Yahoo should change is their homepage cause it really looks old to me.
  14. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    Google is dominating search right now, but that's no guarantee that they will hold that position of several years from now. Alta Vista used to be first search engine several years ago. Never say never.
  15. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    This is exactly my point. No one knows what's gonna happen in the future so we better keep our eyes out for changes that might be happening. Google is the big player right now but I don't think that they will remain that way till eternity.
  16. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    The one thing that Google has going for it is that it has a diversity of products and services. They have expanded well beyond search. I would love to see another search engine give Google a run for their money. I don't think it's going to be Yahoo though. They had their moment in the sun.
  17. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo is not a search engine, they just use Bing.
  18. Busy

andy ramirez Member

Message Count:
    Sometimes all we hear is the negative news, but for sure yahoo has a back up plan.