Clicky

Did I need to get a SSL certificate?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by Sugarhill, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Sugarhill New Member

Message Count:
    I just bought two domains earlier today and SSLs were available to buy. I did a quick Google search to see if I needed them and the implication was that it was more important if I was setting up an e-commerce site.

I don't forsee that being the case, although I would happily take donations on the site. Is this something that I need to go back and add if the site is primarily a blog or more of website with various types of articles?
  2. tetutato Member

Message Count:
    You shouldn't need SSL for a blog. As you have mentioned, it's mainly for ecommerce sites where user would feel better if there was extra security for their personal info.
  3. Sugarhill New Member

Message Count:
    Okay, thanks! Today was the first time I've actually bought a domain and I was doing fine until that came up and I realized that I hadn't researched that part before getting to the checkout. :oops:
    Joyce aka Nana likes this.
  4. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    Congratulations on buying your domain! :D
    Sugarhill likes this.
  5. Sugarhill New Member

Message Count:
    Thank you very much! :D I am a little excited. This has been something that I've put off for years and buying them will bring me closer to doing what I should've been doing for a long time already. The next thing I need to do is finish watching this tutorial on HTML and CSS, picking a host and then start writing. I'll figure out the monetization part in due time.
    Hardison likes this.
  6. Cheerful

SolidShellSecurity Member

Message Count:
    The only real part the SSL will come in handy for a blog is protecting you when you log in. Especially when accessing from public places.
  7. niceness8000 Member

Message Count:
    You do not need SSL security for just blogging. In the future, you may decide to turn your site into an eCommerce website, at which point you can always get them then. What they do is add extra protection to the parts of your website that may contain sensitive or financial information (not your dashboard - I mean parts of your site that are available to the public if they buy something or use credit cards). If your blog becomes a "hit" and you get a lot of traffic, you may decide that you want to turn it into an eCommerce website. Otherwise, don't worry about the SSL.
    Sugarhill likes this.
  8. Dether Member

Message Count:
    You need SSL when users add for example credit card informations etc. If you run a store then You should have one