Clicky

Does having your site listed on many directories help?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Drizzy, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Scared

Drizzy Member

Message Count:
    I remember I used to submit my website to each and every directory that I knew existed on the web. I guess it did pay off as my website started receiving more visitors and it might have helped in being shown on search engines. What are your thoughts?
  2. Breezy

KennyK Member

Message Count:
    It definitely helps to submit your site to directories, either manually or by using a service (free or paid, depends). Your site will get visitors over time, and having links pointing at your site is always a good thing.
    I don't know about the latest 'software' that claims to submit your site to a lot of directories. I never used such a thing, but opinions seem be be divided there.
  3. Scared

Drizzy Member

Message Count:
    Does having your site listed on many directories directly affect the chances of your site showing on a Google search for say the same tags you added for your site? What I mean to say is people don't open directories to look for sites, so how do they help?
  4. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    Directories are really outdated. Once upon a time, they made a big difference, but these days, I don't even think they make a difference at all.
  5. Scared

Drizzy Member

Message Count:
    I kind of have the same views regarding directories. That's why I wanted to know how exactly they help websites get more visitors..
  6. TJenkins602 Member

Message Count:
    I think directories could still help. However, they are a rather old way of getting visitors. I'm beginning to think that relying on search engines for traffic is starting to go out of the window.
  7. Converser New Member

Message Count:
    Directories aren't exactly bad. Potentially every link you have out there is an avenue for people to find your website, whether it's in a directory or a forum or in an article. But they have become increasingly obsolete in the wake of social media and changes to search engines, particularly how Google handles SEO. Is it worth submitting your website to them? Potentially, but it's not the powerful tool it used to be.
  8. Breezy

maddie Member

Message Count:
    I do think listing them in directories do help, but I think the key to it is not to overdo stuff. I used to do a lot of directory submissions earlier, I have kind of forgotten about them after the panda and the penguins. I may get back to it sometime soon.
  9. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    I have my website listed in business directories. It helps me a great deal especially since I have a few positive reviews. It is associated with a real business. I don't have a website that not associated with an offline type business listed in any directories.
  10. HDHarper Member

Message Count:
    I agree with this. Google used to weigh directories as reliable backlinks. Now, I'm not so sure.
  11. Amazed

jameskellin Member

Message Count:
    Yes it does have an effect to a certain extent. It won't hurt to submit though!
  12. Bashful

crossunitedfate Member

Message Count:
    Yes, it helps. In fact, every little bit does. Every small bit of effort is one more way for you to get your name out there.

However, directories have slowly loss their places as one of the more effective ways to get yourself out there these days.
  13. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    They don't now. All they see is a single site with a ton of unrelated links. Often times directories are going to be PR 1 or 2 now, too, and many of them require mutual exchange of links, so it doesn't count for much at all.
  14. SamK Member

Message Count:
    If you make a lot of link directory submissions, then be sure to have many unique descriptions and tags rather than repeating the same ones again and again. Perhaps this isn't as critical with link directories as it is with article directories, but duplicate submissions aren't very useful.

With paid directories, my guess would be that Google isn't too happy about directories where anyone can get listed by buying their listing (Google is against paid links). But there are some paid directories that have higher quality standards and don't automatically include everyone even after the fee has been paid. The site has to fulfill their quality standards to get included after a manual review. At least in principle this would seem like something that could be valuable in Google's eyes, but I'm not sure whether that really is the case.
  15. gl4d0s New Member

Message Count:
    Link directories aren't that powerful, since there are more links than valuable content. On top of that, categories are really generic. This means you can't guarantee that the sites listed next to yours are closely related to your niche. It might be useful with diversity. I really don't bother since the ones that even slightly matter charge for one way links and have high pr/quality requirements. By the time you're there, who needs them?

It's sad how pathetic they are now. Remember when you could actually get traffic from a directory? :laugh:
  16. Curious

fliphost Member

Message Count:
    I used to have a list of directories that I would submit to, but I would never see the links when researching my site back links, so I stopped worrying about them.