Clicky

Ever owned a 3-letter domain?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by haze, Jul 17, 2012.

1. haze New Member

Message Count:
    A simple question really, I was wondering if anybody here has ever owned a three letter domain and if so, what was it and what did you use it for?

Myself, I haven't had one as of yet but I am always on the lookout for a nice one and if I like it and the possibilities that go with it, I'll go buy it.
  2. ashimashi New Member

Message Count:
    Nope. I would love to. I can grow it and make the price so much more. Of course I wouldn't pick any 3 letter domain.
  3. bryce12 Member

Message Count:
    I highly doubt you'll manage to get one. Even the most ridiculous 3 letter domains are not available since they are highly valuable. Even if you somehow manage to grab one, be prepared to shell out high price. As for me, I have never owned a 3 letter domain but would love to own one if I am able to afford it.
  4. cappazushi New Member

Message Count:
    I'm looking to buy a 4-letter domain, but it's being "squatted" on by some company (whose initials are the four letters) in Colorado. I don't know if they're even aware of its value, but it kills me that a good domain that I really want has a basic CMS install on it, and not much else.

Every time a good domain says, "Hello World!" an aspiring webmaster loses his wings.
  5. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    True that. You can call yourself lucky if you find one available. Who wouldn't want something as short as 3 letters? That'd make it very easy to remember.
  6. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    No, I haven't. I wouldn't want one either, even though I know they're highly sought after. I just can't see myself ever building one up.
  7. Cheerful

SolidShellSecurity Member

Message Count:
    With all the new domain register options out there had considered buying a 3 domain but never could justify it.
  8. Ranma Member

Message Count:
    All the 3-letter domain names were taken before the year 2000. I have heard that one over a decade ago. Some companies registered all available combination of 3-letter domains just so they could resell them later. The only chance you may own one is to buy it from someone who owns it.
  9. Shawn Member

Message Count:
    I owned IWX.me at one time which I used as a URL shortening service for weather-type related content and links. It didn't catch on and I let it expire. I bet I could had make some money off of it though, Oh well, that is what I get for thinking, lol.
  10. trentz Member

Message Count:
    The shortest domain is have is seven letters. Its a lot harder nowadays to get a 3 letter word domain with .com extension or its too pricey. But while we're on this topic can I just ask whether its really worth to have a short domain rather than having the keywords on it?
  11. Breezy

KennyK Member

Message Count:
    It's very hard to find good, short domain names nowadays. Except if you're loaded with cash and can use that specific domain that is for sale. I'd rather go for one with important keywords in it.
  12. Ranma Member

Message Count:
    It's the best to have the domain contain keywords and being short. It's always easier for people to remember and to type your domain out in the browser if it is short. Yes, it is hard to get a short and great domain these days because all the short ones are already taken. I would not pay big cash for a domain unless I am on a huge budget. I just don't see the reason not to create an alternative domain that belongs to no one for just about $10 a year.
  13. dan213 Member

Message Count:
    Sadly, I haven't but would love to. Acquiring a domain like this would surely bring in some profit regardless of whether there was a site published on it or not. It's really hard to find a good, short domain as many are either being used or bought up and parked.
  14. Inspired

PeakSter Administrator

Message Count:
    still owning 9B1.NET, do you wont to buy? :)
  15. MustangV10 Member

Message Count:
    Nope, doubt I ever will either. I've owned short domains before, but never that short.
  16. Breezy

susansmith001 New Member

Message Count:
    That's a very interesting question by the way no I never:) .
  17. Roflmao

MyDigitalpoint New Member

Message Count:
    I was able to register 3-chars domain names, most of them INFO, US, and IN domains and some of them including numbers that pretended to be letters, in example 1 instead of L I had also a dot COM but 2 numbers+1 letter.

What I did with them? Thought to make loads of money but not having receive bids for at least the regged price, I used them to make shortening URL services and eventually they were dropped having little success.

Actually I still have two 3-letter domains, but one is ASIA extension, and the other is ME... I have also an IN and planning to drop it, but I might give it a second chance.

The ASIA domain is being used to serve content to my other websites, hence it has not public viewable content other than the domain name, and curiously Google already indexed it with a notice that says. "This domain has not description due to a robots.txt preventing our access."

The ME domain is being used as an opinion search engine with shortening URL capability, and the IN, if kept, will be used for an idea that I'm still outlining regarding daily news.
  18. Breezy

JohnSword Member

Message Count:
    Sadly, I don't own a 3-letter domain.

In principle, the .com ones are worth more than reg-fee. At the same time, there are many that have very little value, and then the odd one that's worth $200/$300+, depending on who wants them.

I think there's quite a bit of luck involved with them, and their values are unpredictable.
  19. DarkRepulser New Member

Message Count:
    I don't understand why anyone should want to buy a 3-letter domain, unless they're doing a link shortening service or something relevant. But I don't think those are very successful though...
  20. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    They hold a lot of value actually. I was going to give you some examples, but I went and found you a full explanation instead:

3Character.com - 3 Letter Domains: The History and the Future

That should explain why people seek out 3-letter domains.
    SenseiSteve likes this.