Clicky

Favorite Extension?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by dan213, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dan213 Member

Message Count:
    What is your favorite extension for a domain?

I prefer .com but would also register .net.
  2. Karoshio Premium Member

Message Count:
    I have always preferred .com just like most people and I always aim for a .com but depending on the project I am not against registering another domain.
  3. Alex Member

Message Count:
    I always go for .com first because it's the most popular, but for some reason I have always loved .net.

I tend to never go for anything other than .com or .net though.
  4. Craig Tumblison Member

Message Count:
    Believe it or not, I've always loved .io, .su, and .me.

When purchasing the typical domain though, I go with the .com option.
  5. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    I don't mind the "rare" options but I go with the crowd, I always try to see if .com is available; if not, I go with .net.
  6. razelia Member

Message Count:
    It has always been .com for me. For some of my sites that are actually pretty popular now though, I also purchase the .net domain for it. I've had a time before when someone bought a domain the same name as my site with a .net domain, and mainly used my site's popularity to get people to visit his site (which was full of ads) which only had 1 article related somewhat to my site that made no sense whatsoever. He was basically just stealing my visitors.
  7. dojo Active Member

Message Count:
    I usually try secure the .com extension, but I have used .net for quite some time and it also worked great for me. Since I also run few Romanian sites, I also have few .ro domain names in my portfolio
  8. FrederikL New Member

Message Count:
    I always try to go for .com and if the domain has a "hack" extension (Magic.AL, etc.) I try to go for that.
  9. neverforget98 Member

Message Count:
    I prefer .com and .net both. But I also like .ca - doesn't matter to me :p
  10. lowrider.STi Member

Message Count:
    .com, .net and .ro, because it's the extension from my country, Romania.
  11. JCJ Member

Message Count:
    I've always gone with .net or .com for my projects. This brings up an interesting question.. Does Google view the other less-common TLDs in a less favorable manner than .com and .net? Does it have any effect on search engine rankings? It shouldn't, but I really don't have any experience in that area.
  12. Bauss Member

Message Count:
    My favorite extension has always been .com, and I don't even consider buying a domain if I can't own the .com.
  13. Artistic

MisterBreeZy Member

Message Count:
    I don't really have a favorite. All domain extensions come in handy at some point. I like to keep to .com as that is easier to remember rather then .net .org. .me etc.
  14. Vigorix New Member

Message Count:
    I would have to say .com, its just the most common and recognizable for visitors. Sometimes if I forget the exact url of a website, I will always try .com first anyways.
  15. Rabi New Member

Message Count:
    Hi,my favorite domain name extension is .com
  16. DarkRepulser New Member

Message Count:
    I always go with authority domain extensions. I mostly prefer com, and if that's not available, I pick net. If both aren't available I'll just seek a different domain name.
  17. Sick

kjett80 Member

Message Count:
    I've always preferred .com, .net and .org. I purchased a .us domain once though.
  18. DarkRepulser New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah .us or .co.uk domains are always better for local ranking on Google. (whereas .us is for United States ranking and .co.uk is for United Kingdom ranking, etc.)
  19. Roflmao

MyDigitalpoint New Member

Message Count:
    Most people will always say COM or certainly localized extensions, but I think that one should not generalize on this matter because sometimes the favorite extension depends too much on the name.

One of the first domains I ever bought is an ORG.UK that was bought because I had not much money to buy the COM, which was also available because this is a name that I coined. The next year, I had enough money to buy the same name but COM extension, and even bought all the other extension that I could afford. Eventually and till date, the ORG.UK keeps being my priority above the COM, and all the other extensions were dropped and, in this case, is only because personal choice, I don't really care the traffic, rank or whatever, and incidentally this org.uk has always been my best ranked domain.

Now, putting extensions in other context, if I would have the chance to register READ INFO to build a reference site, I would say INFO is my favorite extension for this particular domain rather than READ COM or READ INFO COM... in a figurative way, Do I want people read info or get them reading com, and what is that com that need to be read?

Following this bottom line, I could name many other examples in which the favorite extension could be any other upon COM domains.

Now for mere commercial purposes, I would say the preference order keep being COM first followed by NET, ORG, INFO, US and BIZ and extensible to CO, ME and regional domains UK, DE, MX, etc
  20. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    My first choice is .COM. If the it's not available, then .ORG is my next choice. I have purchased info domain if I'm going to focus on search engine traffic.