Clicky

Has anyone ever stolen your content?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by makeithappen, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    Have you ever seen a site that copied your images, content, idea, or anything that you created yourself? What actions did you take to report it?

I've seen many sites that took things from my site, from images to whole posts, without even linking to my site. I always tried to contact the software and/or domain provider but that rarely did anything. I tried getting in touch with the admins and always ended up banned. In the end, I ended up not caring anymore, as there was nothing else I could think of to make them take the things they had stolen down.
  2. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    You need to find a cease and desist letter (perhaps off Google or somewhere). I know that a few of my online friends had this happen to them and they sent a letter to the person getting them to take down all content or else they're going through legal matters. Also, get in contact with the big three search engines themselves and they'll more than likely end up blacklisting the sites for plagiarism. Make sure to save letters and all communication from everyone.
  3. Stressed

Message Count:
    Thanks for the piece of advice but, unfortunately, search engines wouldn't even care to read my complaint if I didn't buy copyright rights for my content. I've used Copyscape before but that doesn't really qualify.

Who did your friend send the letter to? The owner? Did he end up taking the website down?
  4. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    She sent it to the owner and kept sending it until he took the content off. I believe another one of my friends also did a Rip-Off Report on another guy's site because she found numerous articles that he stole from her and had up there. She even had all the proof printscreened and needless to say, he had to start fresh with another domain and all because he had such a bad rep from that.
  5. Karoshio Premium Member

Message Count:
    I have had a few different things stolen through my time on the web, nothing to major but several themes I have released have had copyright removed and claimed by someone else as well as a full theme rip a few years ago.
  6. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    That really sucks! I can't believe people go through great lengths in stealing other people's work. Like why can you not be creative you know? Ugh, those people make me so mad!
    Karoshio likes this.
  7. Stressed

Message Count:
    Your friends were lucky! How did they manage to get the admin's physical address, though? Through whois?

Also, was your friend asked to prove that the content was hers? How did she manage to do that? It's hard to prove you're the real owner for images, for example, because they won't believe you even if you show them the .psd files. Happened to me once. The images were on Google Images (they were taken from my site) so the guy claimed they were 'public'.
  8. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    She sent it to his email address from what I know of. It was his personal email that he used for any communication on various things so I guess he wasn't that savvy in knowing how to block them if he really wanted to. However, you can find out through whois or a great Google search if you want the physical address. Turned out the guy was like a 16 year old trying to get into affiliate marketing so he got a bit scared and just removed the content.

Everyone should know that if it's on Google Images, more than likely it's not public and you must ask permission beforehand. People can be so dumb!
  9. Craig Tumblison Member

Message Count:
    This is completely untrue. Copyright is established upon the creation of a work, not the registration of a work. There are benefits to registering your work, but this is not required to have copyright protections.

Yes, I have had my IP infringed upon in the past. Content cannot be "stolen", that phrase doesn't make much sense and isn't a legal term. My company commissioned the creation of a forum theme not too long ago, and there were requests for it to be "ripped" and made available for free. We responded quickly via the standard legal channels (thankfully our lawyer specializes in this type of work) and we were able to come to an agreement.

It's downright silly to believe that a work, regardless of what it might be, will never be pirated. The laws we have are broken, I'm willing to admit that. Personally I'm in favor of copyright reform.
  10. razelia Member

Message Count:
    I'm not sure if this counts as "stealing content", but I think it's pretty much up there. I only have one domain name for my site, a .com one. Imagine my surprise when I find that someone opened the exact same site under a .net domain. When I visited it, it had nothing in it but a really badly written article somewhat related to my site (i.e. it didn't even make any sense), but guess what, it was just full of Google Ads.

The way I see it, whoever's running it is using it as a sort of distraction. Like, some people may accidentally visit that site instead of ours, and voila, views to his Google ads. :rolleyes:

I don't really know how to go about it though.
  11. Stressed

Message Count:
    I had no idea. I was told I actually had to buy copyrights for my work if I wanted to protect it against piracy. Do you have the source for your statement, please?
  12. Craig Tumblison Member

Message Count:
    When is my work protected?
    Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register

"Protection" is a varying word. To file a C&D or DMCA, your work does not have to be registered. Those are both forms of legal protection to your work. In order to file a lawsuit and begin legal proceedings you do need to register. As always, speak to a lawyer.
    makeithappen and Karoshio like this.
  13. dojo Active Member

Message Count:
    Let's see: partial theme theft - check. Entire forum skin stolen - check. Forum information, categories, rules, contest copied as they were -check. Articles stolen entirely - check.

So I kinda had it all :D

Of course I made a HUGE fuss over these and got the thieves to remove the copyrighted content. Some were nice people and did this, after realizing they've been caught and one guy played 'dead' when I asked him to remove the blog posts. Bad luck for him: he was on a blogspot blog and google deleted his entire blog
  14. razelia Member

Message Count:
    Speaking of partial theme theft, that happened to me, as well. The sad thing about my case is that it was an actual, trusted (well, no longer trusted) friend who did it. And whenever I would confront her, she would just turn a blind eye and deny the whole thing.

Of course, when your site has a big number of loyal followers, you can pretty much just instill chaos into the copied site with the right push... :cool:
  15. SpikeTheLobster Member

Message Count:
    In addition to the information above, you can protect printed material easily by posting it to yourself. Don't open the letter when it arrives and the postmark will act as a date stamp for copyright purposes.

There is no paid protection for copyright as far as I'm aware. There are paid protections for intellectual property and patents but copyright is automatic and free.

As far as getting copies removed is concerned, I've always taken the same route: contact the site owner and demand removal. If that fails, I'll look them up (do a WHOIS on a domain registrar site or domaintools) and contact their official email address. If that fails, I'll contact their ISP and - if they're running AdSense - report them to Google for copyright infringement. That gets their AdSense account banned and they lose all their money. Hah!
  16. Stressed

Message Count:
    Thank you both, SpikeTheLobster and Craig! I had no idea. The people from Forumotion lied to me then. There were several sites that were clearly copying my images (they even had the same URLs! - too bad I used imgur) and topics, and the guy who was in charge of reports back then told me I had no paid copyrights for those things. Liar!!
  17. razelia Member

Message Count:
    The mere fact they were using the same URLs was already sure evidence they were stealing. That would even be classified as hotlinking, but then again you were using imgur.
  18. FrederikL New Member

Message Count:
    Yep,

I had a design on a personal site of mine, which was used as a landing page. I did some searching and found out a company had stolen my landing page, also leaving my copyright (Quite stupid) but, I sent a DMCA notice to the datacenter, and they complied and removed the landing page. Quite easy and painless.
  19. blommas Member

Message Count:
    Nope, no one have ever stolen anything of my content. And I dont think it'll happen, I'm not even good at much, so yeah..
  20. khulbe Member

Message Count:
    There are numbers of people in the web world who are doing this illegal stuff. I have several articles in Ezine and almost all are copied by spammers.