Clicky

Is Yahoo Dead?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by CityGirlLuv, Apr 28, 2012.

1. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    In terms of using it as an actual search engine, do you think Yahoo is reaching its endpoint, or has it already done so? I would say it is pretty much dead for the simple fact that hardly anyone that I know of online and offline uses it to look up anything anymore. Matter of fact, when it comes to Yahoo, I tend to use Yahoo Answers as a search engine before the actual search bar itself.
  2. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    It's pretty obvious that Google is and will be #1 for as long as the internet exists, but that doesn't mean people still don't use other search engines like Yahoo or Bing. I know a few people (mostly middle-aged and elders) that rather use Yahoo than Google, just because they have a @yahoo.com mailbox.
  3. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    Wasn't really even bringing Google in the picture or trying to say if one day Yahoo will beat them; however, I noticed that too about the elderly and middle-aged people. For instance, my mom's middle-aged and she still uses Yahoo. I'm sure people still use it, but my question is will the usage be decreased more and more overtime.
  4. Karoshio Premium Member

Message Count:
    I don't really discuss with anyone what they use that Yahoo provides but it my eyes it is dead for the fact that I do not use it, ever and probably never well.
    CityGirlLuv likes this.
  5. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    Oh, sorry, misread the first post :oops: I believe usage will decrease. This is very similar to what's happened and still happens to Internet Explorer. Only elders and people with very little computer knowledge use it (let's face it, every other browser is still better than IE 6, 7, 8 and maybe 9). Once those people find out about the alternatives (Chrome, Mozilla, etc.) they will most likely switch; there will, of course, also be people who will refuse to change.

If Yahoo users took some time to really try Google out, I'm sure they'd change.
    CityGirlLuv likes this.
  6. CityGirlLuv New Member

Message Count:
    No big, didn't even mean to make my post sound snarkish. I was upset with a guy on another forum and ahh. Anyways, I haven't even used IE in years lol although it's pinned to the bottom of my taskbar. I'm sure they'd change, but then you always have the one fearing about the privacy thing. You know, the ones that watch and believe everything the media tells them.
  7. razelia Member

Message Count:
    As a search engine... Yup, it's probably dead by now. Yahoo News, on the other hand, seems to be alive and well from what I'm seeing in my Facebook news feed on how "This friend just read this article."
  8. SeanFace101 Member

Message Count:
    Im not sure about dead,
    But i think it will never be used as much as google.
    Google will always "As far as i can see" be no.1 for internet searches.
    Even images, google is no.1 woul also.. I would reckon!
  9. dojo Active Member

Message Count:
    To me it's dead and has been for years. I don't read their news, don't use my email account anymore, their search engine was never a priority for me, not even the Answers are worth my time. I am amazed to see they're still in business, if it was for members like me, they'd be long since bankrupt
  10. SeanFace101 Member

Message Count:
    I only use it for the email address i have with them.
    Its my paypal email, but thats about it. :p

I heard not long ago that Yahoo was sueing Facebook for something along the lines of Facebook used something that belonged to Yahoo on their website. Not really sure about any other details on it thought :p
  11. Rancid Member

Message Count:
    I still use Yahoo Answers for promoting stuff. I still use Yahoo Messenger as my main online messenger. I also use yahoo mail...and I'm not the only one, so yeah, Yahoo is not dead.
  12. lowrider.STi Member

Message Count:
    The only Yahoo! services I use are the Answers and Mail. And they're pretty good, so I can't call Yahoo! dead.
  13. Raderyx Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo Mail, Answers, and Messenger is still very active. I would consider them dead until nobody uses it. I don't think there's anything similar to Yahoo Answers out there.
  14. harish Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo is not dead but not active. I don’t know how Yahoo will keep their internet share in the forthcoming years.
  15. Rancid Member

Message Count:
    You don't use the messenger?
  16. Austin Member

Message Count:
    In terms of Yahoo as a search engine, I think it's on it's way out the door if it's not already. Almost everywhere I go the default page is google and I rarely, more like never, see anyone using Yahoo search. The only time I see Yahoo is for news or mail or a similar service.
  17. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    People I am getting fed up of saying this, please do some research.

Yahoo has not had a search engine in many many years and instead uses results provided by Bing. This was part of the deal between Microsoft and Yahoo. In return Microsoft uses Yahoo's advertising network.

I personally uses DuckDuckGo for most of my searches because I'm fed up of Google returning results based on what I have viewed in the past instead of what I am actually looking for.
  18. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    Yahoo is certainly not dead, nor will it be anytime soon. I personally read Yahoo News multiple times daily.
    @carbonize - I keep seeing you push DuckDuckGo, so I'm going to give them a try, starting today.
  19. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    Yeah it's good.

Specially have a look at this part and read up on their !Bangs
  20. Artistic

MisterBreeZy Member

Message Count:
    I never hear of anybody using Yahoo anymore other than to use the email functions. Nobody ever uses the search. On occasion, I do use it to read some news.