Clicky

Is Yahoo Dead?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by CityGirlLuv, Apr 28, 2012.

1. lowrider.STi Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo! Answers is still on the top. And their Messenger is also pretty good.
  2. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    As someone who has used Yahoo messenger for years I can tell you that the messenger program it's self is crap and the protocol/servers buggy has hell.
  3. Scared

Drizzy Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo used to be my top preference back in the day. It was nice to have it as your homepage as it was very informative and you would stumble upon something interesting almost every time you visited it. But this was before I was introduced to the beauty that Google is. I don't think Yahoo is completely dead as I still use it for Answers and News but it is inevitable that Google will always remain the no.1 choice for websearch :)
  4. tommymac Member

Message Count:
    I think Yahoo would do well to go back to a minimalist approach with regards to searching. The root site is way too busy with too much going on. Just let me search and move on to what I'm looking for.
  5. Tired

Arariel Retired Administrator

Message Count:
    So do I, but I wish there was a better site to use. The journalists at Yahoo are seriously idiots. I've read so many articles with grammar/spelling mistakes, and/or the article is incredibly short with little to no descriptions about the actual event the article is about.
  6. Ross Member

Message Count:
    I find myself on yahoo answers a fair bit looking for advice on specific topics, although I have got to say, despite being online alot; I have never actually used yahoo to search for things... similarly to you I also know of no-one who actually uses it either. In my opinion, yes I'd say it's dead. I would expect the only people who are using it are those who are a bit older than myself and actually started using it early on and stuck with it, thoughts?
  7. Robert New Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo is certainly not dead, but it has changed. As a dedicated search engine, Yahoo has been dead for years, but that does not mean their other services are. I'm a Yahoo Contributor, and I can tell you first hand that the site is still very active.
  8. WhiteNelumbo Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo! has a lot of services, and as Robert said, it has changed. Its search engine is definitely not up to par with its other competitors, especially Google, but it still has some web services that people use. Yahoo! Answer has to be the most active part of Yahoo! now. The community is fairly large, and most of the time, there will be a good answer. The news section isn't too bad, but I prefer other sites that are dedicated to delivering news. Yahoo! isn't what it was before, but it's not dead yet. Yahoo! has to come up with another service to draw people in or else the number of its supporters will keep dwindling. I gave up on Yahoo! mail a few years back because it wasn't something I wanted to use anymore.
  9. Blah

micromachne Member

Message Count:
    It's not dead, it' s just that Google's search is so dominant it makes EVERY other search look extinct.
  10. Ranma Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo is not dead. None of its service is dead. Not even the search engine. Currently Yahoo serves Bing results in the U.S. Bing has been improved quite a bit. In fact, I found their search results are quite similar to what you get from searching on Google.

Yahoo Answers is still the best in term of ask anything. Although for more specific answers, you might want to visit niche related forums.

Yahoo mail is still used by many.

Yahoo news are read by millions. You can see that by looking at how many "like" they get, as well as how many comments they get under each news. Some popular news get tens thousands comments within a few hours.
  11. GregH Member

Message Count:
    Personally I don't use Yahoo search engine to search. I just stick to google as for me it's easier for me to type and always go by the motto "If it's not broken don't fix it"

I however, do still frequent Yahoo answers to post on there helping which I also use to plug my forum. Seems to work as I've had a few new members join every few days.
  12. CyanSleepy New Member

Message Count:
    Most of the people that use search engines that aren't Google or Bing are usually in their old age and seldom go on the computer. A lot of them haven't made the change because they don't know enough about these specific programs and just rely on what they already have. On another note, Yahoo Answers seems extremely popular still and their email domain is used by a large number of people today. I heard there are some major security risks with a yahoo email account though.
  13. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    That's a curious assessment - any references to back it up? I wonder how many of these non Google or Bing search engines have been launched "after" Google and Bing?
  14. GregH Member

Message Count:
    I would actually be interested to see if there are any references to back that persons statement up as well.
    I just had a quick search up on search engine history. This site seems to have quite a decent history record of each engine etc.
    Search Engine History.com
    SenseiSteve likes this.
  15. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    I think Yahoo isn't totally dead but is in a very bad condition right now. Its not the internet power that it once was, clearly overtaken by Google. Yahoo Mail is in a disarray, their search engine although it is still being used by some just can't cope up with Google anymore. The higher ups of Yahoo should really get their thing straight. They should focus on the important stuff first than implementing new things which clearly annoys the hell out of their users. If they still want to get back in the race, they should focus on keeping their members stay.
  16. PeaceContinuum New Member

Message Count:
    To call Yahoo dead would be a huge exaggeration. It may not be in the limelight at this moment but it's not dead. Well, it's not quite dead yet. It's pretty obvious that Yahoo is on the decline right now and, unless it turns around, it may not be too far in the future that we're seeing news stories about Yahoo going bankrupt. Yahoo needs to do something drastic and do it soon if it is to ever pick back up again.
  17. ohiotom76 Member

Message Count:
    It's interesting, because a few years ago we used to get a significant portion of our traffic through paid search from Yahoo. Google was still bigger, but we spent way more on Yahoo than we did on MSN. Since they merged and their paid search programs are all on MSN's platform now - the combined paid search traffic we get from them is much smaller.
  18. Artistic

Jay1980 New Member

Message Count:
    It sounds like they were able to successfully tie in some of their other products and that helps keep people around. If you are gonna log in at their site to check email, you might as well use their news/search/answers/etc service while you are there.
  19. Artistic

Matie Member

Message Count:
    They're not dead, they're simply low key compared to Google and the other gigantic sites. It's still important and relevant to get traffic from there.
  20. Blah

iRichard Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo is not dead but I do remember when it use to be popular before Google came along, but I still use Yahoo search engine and e-mail. Even though most people will use Google.