Clicky

Is Yahoo Dead?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by CityGirlLuv, Apr 28, 2012.

1. xStylezx New Member

Message Count:
    I rarely see anyone using Yahoo myself. I've maybe caught a couple Aunts of mine using it before I swiftly directed them to Google. :D

I think Google will reign supreme for quite some time to come. The few times I have used Yahoo I was not impressed with their search results nor layout to be honest.
  2. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    ^
    It seems cluttered and very slow right? I wonder if how much percentage of people are still using Yahoo and other search engines right now compared to Google.
  3. Breezy

KennyK Member

Message Count:
    Well, if Yahoo is 'dead', then all other players are as well, except Google. I hope Yahoo can focus again on their core and on the 21st century and challenges & opportunities of the future. If you keep losing market share, you have to dare making tough decisions and come up with a new vision.
  4. tetutato Member

Message Count:
    For me it is lol. Anyways they were in big trouble last time I checked with fraudulent CEO, etc.
  5. Aditya Kulkarni New Member

Message Count:
    Not really, I don't think it will ever be shut down!

It is because the Yahoo Messenger first, where people come and do chats on almost every topic which are unethical! ;)
    And secondly, because, the news page we get to see when we log out of our mailbox!
  6. Breezy

Mustaxina Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo will always have some nostalgia value, because at least here in Europe it did rule the search engine market during the first years of the Internet. But apart from that, it's not worth much. I have a Yahoo e-mail account which I only use on places where I don't feel comfortable using my primary e-mail address. Until a few years ago, I was still a faithful Yahoo user. But the straw that broke the camel's back was the gradual transformation of their news site into an online gossip magazine. Just look at the stories they publish. They are either inane stories about some celebrity or some "important" news that has been dumbed down to the point of being paternalising.
  7. Cheerful

ProverbsWife New Member

Message Count:
    Yipes! is 20s middle aged? :giggle: I love my yahoo email, I have a Google email as well and hate almost everything about it.
    As a search engine, Google is certainly my favorite, but I wouldn't say Yahoo is dead. Yahoo News is still highly read and because they are on Facebook, I'm guessing they will be around for awhile.

But, if Facebook goes, then Yahoo is likely to as well.
  8. Steve Smith Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo is one of the best search engine and still it's widely used. Yahoo emailing services/ Yahoo Answers are very popular and there are many other features which are still used among web community. Certainly Yahoo still have good health and will live long.
  9. Lurking

Nerdie Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The only thing I personally like about Yahoo is the stories they write on their blog that you can find on the main page of Yahoo.com. I find them pretty amusing.
  10. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    Middle-middle age then? :p Pardon me for generalizing Yahoo's users :p It's just that, the people I know that use it, are between 40 and 60 years old - or more.
  11. tommymac Member

Message Count:
    The thing that is really ticking me off about Yahoo is their desperate attempts to hook themselves into my browser and my cell phone. I installed Yahoo Messenger on my desktop and on my phone and it keeps trying to put Yahoo toolbar on my Firefox and force my phone to sync with my Yahoo contacts.
  12. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    That's nothing that the other big two do. Install anything from the MS family (Messenger etc) and th einstaller offers to install everything else form the MS family. Same with most Google products, you install them and they try to install Google Toolbar as well.
  13. Breezy

maddie Member

Message Count:
    I wouldn't consider it dead. A lot of people I know think Google is unsafe and does not respect their privacy and have switched back to Yahoo or Bing. I use yahoo answers to promote my articles online. I use both Google and Yahoo for my searches.
  14. TJenkins602 Member

Message Count:
    I don't think Yahoo is really dead. It is not the #1 search engine. However, tons of people are using Yahoo. Just not as much as people are using Google.
  15. Healthcare Member

Message Count:
    I think Yahoo has less features than that of Google. Google is treated as number one search engine.
  16. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    YAHOO IS NOT A SEARCH ENGINE!!!!!
  17. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    Your response gives the impression that you're a bit frustrated. I counted five exclamation marks. For discussion, please share what Yahoo really is.

I do recall reading that once Yahoo's contract with Bing expires, they may consider contracting for services with Google.
  18. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    Exactly. Yahoo just shows results from Bing therefor Yahoo is not a search engine but a site for showing results from a search engine. Just as DuckDuckGo shows results from Bing.
  19. EmmaKille Member

Message Count:
    No! Yahoo is the second best search engine.
  20. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    Microsoft will be happy to hear that :) since Yahoo is using their search engine.