Clicky

SEO effects of .info vs .com

Discussion in 'Domains' started by seotut, Nov 18, 2012.

1. seotut Member

Message Count:
    I intend on starting a new content-heavy, authority website and I want to make a decision about the TLD that I'd use. Most of what I've read on forums such as BHW or Warrior Forums suggest going for the .com, however recently, with the latest changes in Google's algorithm this shouldn't matter as much.

What's your opinion on this? Would a .com result in a significantly better ranking compared to a .info?
  2. Amazed

jameskellin Member

Message Count:
    Well there's definitely an affect on SEO if you have a .info domain rather than a .com domain. The reason is because .info doesn't get much priority.
  3. Memento_Mori Member

Message Count:
    If you only considering the ranking part, there wont be much different between both. Even the number of people that link back to you wont really be different since they will rate the quality mostly.
    But if think of it in terms of visits, a .com might perform better for a number of reasons, including the fact that for most people, everything that isn't .com has a greater risk of being spam.
  4. Spaced

Dante848 New Member

Message Count:
    ^ Agreed.

You have to think about your visitors, a lot of people who know nothing about the web won't visit a website unless it is a .com/.org

Even .net sounds sketchy to some of them. It really depends on who your target audience is. I would personally choose the .com, for SEO and the reason I stated above.
  5. seotut Member

Message Count:
    That's really not true. No-one avoids a site from google's SERPs because it's a not a .com, especially if the site has great content.

I don't care about SEO anymore, I just try to write the best articles I can to help my users, while having a simple and light, yet easy to read.
  6. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    When a .info site shows up on a search query, I too, doubt anyone cares. They'll look at the description and scan the site for a few seconds to determine if it's worth sticking around to read the content.
  7. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    Is there an effect on the SEO between a .info and a .com? NO.

If that's the case then should you opt for the .info? NO. Remember that even if you rank first on Goggle, a .info site would always look sketchy for the visitors and most of the time, searchers would click the .com instead of the site with the .info domain.
  8. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    I have had success with ranking an .info site. That site was completely dependent upon search engine traffic. It was a keyword rich domain. The site was substantial. It wasn't a thinly veiled site. I wasn't able to get the .com or .net as they were taken by speculators. Eventually, those domains went back on the market (within six months) and I was able to grab them.
    Info domains work, but I prefer the com domain. I think they look more professional.
  9. Sick

kjett80 Member

Message Count:
    Here's a question: What do you do when all of the relevant .com names are taken? It would seem to me that the next step would be to register a .net, .info, etc.
  10. Breezy

susansmith001 New Member

Message Count:
    I don't think so that is going to create much difference because all that matters is quality content on your website and if you have it then you don't need to worry about anything.
  11. Artistic

Kakko New Member

Message Count:
    .com domains are more trustworthy in users eyes
  12. Dether Member

Message Count:
  13. buysell-browse New Member

Message Count:
    If the domain name you want is available in both .com and .info, it's a no-brainer: get the .com!
  14. aliahmed New Member

Message Count:
    .com commercial Domain used many places Like if you want to make store company or even personal website use .com domain.

.info share information most of the social bookmarking domain name choose .info .
  15. mixing Member

Message Count:
    I don't care what anybody tells you, there really aren't any! Google won't discriminate against a COM, a NET, an INFO, or a BIZ.. The only time you really look at problems with extensions is when we're talking about country code extensions, like CA for Canada, MX for Mexico..etc.
  16. WHUK New Member

Message Count:
    The entire thing is depending upon the quality of your content on your website and social media strategy which you are using for your business. And if you have a strong SEO plans then it doesn’t matter what is your domain name and all.
  17. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    Let's take this one step further. What if your domain was something like http://www.race-cars-for-sale-in-Denver.com and your website was SEO and SMO optimized for antique furniture?