Clicky

Silly posts and AdSense

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by Mustaxina, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Breezy

Mustaxina Member

Message Count:
    I'm thinking of monetising a forum I own together with a couple of other people. We are considering using Google AdSense, as it is the less intrusive form of advertising among all the major ad servers. The thing is, there are still many silly posts left from the time when the forum had basically no rules: threads where people just say what time it is, threads were people just write the first word that comes to mind... Basically these are just stupid threads designed to boost the post count of the forum and the members themselves.

Do you think Google will take into account the existence of these posts when deciding whether to accept us for AdSense? Do you think we should delete them? What other factors does AdSense take into account when deciding whether to accept or reject a forum?
  2. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    Um, are any of those threads breaking Adsense ToS? Yes, they will take them into account, so if there is "bad" stuff there, then it needs to be removed. If it's just silly stuff, then no, don't worry about.
  3. GregH Member

Message Count:
    As with the above. So long as it doesn't infringe on the terms of service Google should be fine with it. Are there any kind of breaches of the ToS? If so remove them before applying.
  4. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    Jessi, are you ever wrong? :p

If it's just a bunch of gibberish posts, I'd just leave them sitting there. After all, they're helping the overall posting count.
  5. Breezy

Mustaxina Member

Message Count:
    Yes, it's just a bunch of gibberish posts, but nothing that contravenes AdSense's terms of service specifically. The reason why I was worried is that I thought Google's bots might see these gibberish posts as an attempt to fill the forum with certain keywords in order to attract the search engines. After all, I know that Google has been cracking down on what they term "over-optimised" sites, and apparently this includes sites that use keyword stuffing. Is there any specific definition published by Google or someone else of what keyword stuffing includes and doesn't include?
  6. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    Lmao!

Shockingly enough, yes, yes I am. Sometimes I have outdated information and have to be corrected, so make sure you stay on your toes. You'll catch me at some point, giving out poor info, I'm sure, hehe.
    SenseiSteve and makeithappen like this.
  7. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    I highly doubt Google will even take those posts into account. To be honest, as long as you have more than just crappy posts, your PR won't be as bad.

@Jessi: I'll have to double check next time then :p But seriously, you give great advice on every forum I see you on ;)
    SenseiSteve and Jessi like this.
  8. nightarcher Member

Message Count:
    You never know what Google is going to deem appropriate these days. You're better off just taking an hour or so out of your time and just cleaning up the forum of any questionable posts you see. Make absolutely sure that no threads or posts are against their ToS; they're pretty stingy about that.
  9. Ranma Member

Message Count:
    If your forum is filled with silly posts, I don't even see Google Adsense will approve your site. If there are a few silly posts buried within tons of other decent posts, then you shouldn't be worried.

As a forum admin myself, I do not allow silly posts. I even delete underperformed posts that have no real content or contribute nothing to the particular threads they were posted in. Keep the forum filled with high quality posts that visitors will have a good time while reading it. It is not only good for your monetizing, but also a must have to grow your community in a healthy way.
  10. spidersweb Member

Message Count:
    Silly posts equate to low quality, and that's not accepted at Adsense. Once they look over your site it's not hard to tell you're make "fluff" to increase the post count. That's considered black hat techniques, and most places won't tolerate that sort of stuff. I make my posts quality and informative or I just won't post at all. You should delete all the low quality posts, and try to only make in-depth posts. Hopefully they will accept your site as a legitimate source of income.
  11. bryce12 Member

Message Count:
    Since it is a forum, I would say that you should leave them as it is. However you should focus on quality as well and ensure that at least a good percentage of threads and posts have useful content. Google is at war with low quality content and if a forum consists of just silly posts then Google may stop serving ad on the site.
  12. Breezy

Mustaxina Member

Message Count:
    I've stopped helping on that forum, as a couple of moderators had got on their high horses after years of seeing the site owner bend over backwards to accommodate their every wish, and they broke into open revolt. No way of helping the forum in such conditions. Nevertheless, I'd like to share with you a little tip which applies not only to forums but to all sites in general. If you're planning to put ads on a site, do it from the beginning or from early on. Otherwise, members/visitors will protest a lot when you plan to introduce ads, because they will have grown used to an ad-less site and will come to think they're "entitled" to visiting your site without ads.
  13. littledoe New Member

Message Count:
    Sounds pretty obvious. But it's impressive the number of errors experienced by the Google engine daily due to broken links. So we would have to check all internal links on our site.
  14. Fine

Duke Member

Message Count:
    Can you not just find out whether or not these posts bring any traffic to your site?

If they draw no traffic then just create a hidden spam forum and move all the offending content allowing members to retain their post counts or remove it all together.