Clicky

VPS or Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Nerdie, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Lurking

Nerdie Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    At what point do you know you have outgrown a VPS and require a Dedicated server? I am curious to see what your thoughts are on this :)
  2. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
    This depends on what type of VPS you have - OpenVZ, XEN, etc and what your current plan offers versus what you're averaging (or bursting to) right now. Generally, you know you're ready to upgrade when your VPS either frequently slows to a crawl or dies altogether. Of course you could be close to exceeding disk space as well.
  3. Lurking

ghostprivacy New Member

Message Count:
    If you're slaughtering your VPS on the highest package that company provides for you then it's time to move to a dedicated server.
  4. onlinebizgal Member

Message Count:
    I need to agree that it depends on the VPS plan you currently have. Some plans can work quite well even for businesses that have a lot of traffic and that use a lot of disk space. If your VPS plan is not performing as well as it once was or if your website has grown a great deal, you might want to consider a dedicated hosting plan.
  5. Nerdy

Nullified Member

Message Count:
    I would keep upgrading your VPS until your budget allows for purchase of a dedicated server and a decent one at that. Upgrading the allotments on a VPS is much easier then transferring your site from a budget server to a totally different server every time your site outgrows it. I would stick with VPS util you can afford a decent managed server or unmanaged (depending on your web server administration and security skills).
  6. PlotHost Member

Message Count:
    Most of the time a VPS is ok .
  7. Amazed

Asher ross Member

Message Count:
    Both VPS and Dedicated server has reliable resources and features to host any website.
  8. williamwain New Member

Message Count:
    VPS is one of the most reliable hosting solution which is followed today as PS server
    provide a better service then other hosting types,you get unique features like swap
    space,backup administration customisation and best performance for your
    website to be available on the world wide web has a best one.
  9. Curious

Amdac New Member

Message Count:
    Most VPS providers will allow some pretty serious expansion as your sites grow. My plan is to keep upgrading my VPS plan until it starts to approach roughly 50-75% the price of a dedicated server then switch everything over.
  10. Spetsnaz New Member

Message Count:
    VPS - When I had few clients as of 10-20
    Dedicated after I started getting request forms for VPS and more clients for shared and reseller.
  11. MustangV10 Member

Message Count:
    When my host start shouting at me or rebooting the VPS due to excessive load. The only reason I'd upgrade would be because of that reason. Management of a dedicated gets more time consuming and more expensive in most cases.
  12. jixmac Member

Message Count:
    I think it depends on the usage of the website.If the site is having a very large amount of traffic then a Dedicated service would be very much useful and if not then you can stay with VPS
  13. semaphore.v Member

Message Count:
    VPS is right choice
  14. CloudLix Member

Message Count:
    I think one of the best choise is smart dedicated server
  15. TSS - Conor New Member

Message Count:
    It all depends.
    Some signs:
    • Your VPS server is slowing down due to RAM usage or CPU load.
    • You need more than 150GB of disk space or more than 3TB of bandwidth.
    • Your host warns you of your resource usage
    I always say if you're seriously in doubt to get a dedicated server.
  16. rawhi Member

Message Count:
    It depends on your website traffic, if you have heavy traffic, then only it is needed else VPS or shared is more than enough. The fact that dedicated server is more costly everyone do not directly starts with dedicated servers. I am also doing same for my music teacher website.
  17. Darshan New Member

Message Count:
    If you are running ERP softwares, online big Application Programs, High traffic Game Server and your website grows and reaches to high traffic you should switch to Dedicated Server.
  18. JohnHostiServer New Member

Message Count:
    Usually, your host will let you know when you have exceeded your VPS limits : )
  19. postcd Member

Message Count:
    when vps load is too big, too high cpu, too high io
  20. mixing Member

Message Count:
    Basically, if you have the biggest VPS package your host offers, and it still goes down because of traffic and server requests - then it's time to upgrade! One nice thing about dedicated servers is that you have full power and control. While VPS is good to an extent, the dedi's give you power over everything!