Clicky

What Is A CMS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Karoshio, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Karoshio Premium Member

Message Count:
    What Is A CMS

What is a CMS? Content Management System (CMS) enables you to efficiently organize and manage information – textual, graphic, or any other form of your content – in a database, not necessarily but mostly used in the context of maintaining websites. It is a handy tool for modifying the structure of a web page. It makes managing websites simple for non-technical people by doing some work at the backend and ultimately making the website more user-friendly and automatically increasing the performance of the site on search results. CMS makes it easier to add new stuff to your website while still maintaining the quality of the site.
    There are a lot of sub-categories of CMS that effectively generalize the broad possibilities of the application. The sophistication and features differ in their complexity and functionalities.

Web Content Management System (WCMS)
    A WCMS, sometimes web CMS, is an application that focuses solely on generating good content, managing it, providing a structured storage and deployment of content on websites. The content type may vary from text to pictures and videos or code. It offers different tools for creation of the content and also for administration of the site. The ideal web CMS would allow a non-technical user to collaborate and make the page capable of multiple participation, aside from managing the content.
    What is a CMS without its two components – content management and content delivery. The content management is the part of the CMS that allows the user to author, edit and maintain the content while the content delivery element deploys the changes made by the user.

Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
    What is a CMS that is helpful for businesses? Enterprise content management is such a system for maintaining and storing structured information that is a by-product of the word done and practices held within an enterprise. It is a tool for organizing and managing documents, files and other related data that the organizations use in their day-to-day processes. It was evolved from CMS catering to the different content management needs of different business firms. There are various elements of CMS that come together to form a good EMC.

• A robust document manager is very significant for any organization. Just like every user uses folders to organize their files, an organization needs to organize their files, too, albeit on a larger scale.
    • A web content manager would enable the network administrators to handle issues like bottleneck and for the organization to manage the actual content of the site.
    • An EMC should also have a module for collaboration so that files and documents can be shared between teams that are authorized to access them.
    • Another important element would be for workflow, to handle all the processes of the organization, keeping track of audits and to allocate tasks to workers and floating content.
    • Record management is the component that is used to enforce policies that must be complied with.

Why is CMS important?
    So you created a new website, it is up and running and it is also doing relatively good on the search results, don’t let that make you complacent, though. Your site is still way behind on the perfection scale. You should make it a priority to make your site better and better and provide a good user experience. Not only does CMS make that possible, it also makes it simple. Now that you know what is a CMS and its significance, you can get right to it and use one to manage your site.
    Rancid likes this.
  2. lowrider.STi Member

Message Count:
    And what CMS do you consider the best? :D
  3. Karoshio Premium Member

Message Count:
    Well for me personally I would say WordPress just because it's so easy to work with and just so damn diverse. Then for the people who disagree WordPress should be considered a CMS I would call it a tie between Drupal and Joomla. Both very nice platforms.
  4. razelia Member

Message Count:
    Seconding Wordpress. I used to be under Joomla, but after seeing a few posts by dojo about how good and easy (and at the same time versatile) WordPress was, I instantly transferred to it. Great CMS both for beginners and advanced users.

Also, great article!
  5. lowrider.STi Member

Message Count:
    Well, I love wordpress. I started my first blog with wordpress and I'm never gonna use something else.
  6. rf-harris Member

Message Count:
    In these days CMS are very popular and it seems that anybody can make a website which is awesome :)