Clicky

What makes a good domain?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by makeithappen, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    We all know domains should be short so that they're easy to remember. But that's not all. They need to be catchy, original, or have any quality that could make them stand out from the rest for even more people to visit your site.

So, when picking a new domain name, what are your 'secrets' or 'tips'? Do you go for something short or not? Do you prefer .com or .net? Why?
  2. Rancid Member

Message Count:
    Being .com, having the main keyword in the name and keeping it short.
    DrRipley, Duke and lowrider.STi like this.
  3. SwitchCase New Member

Message Count:
    Keep your domain name short as possible. But If you have a long domain name, it has to be a catchy one and easy to remember. I always prefer .com over the rest. There are also a lot of domain name generators on the net.

Try this one: http://www.panabee.com/
  4. beyre Member

Message Count:
    Like others have said - short and easy to remember.
    But also pick one that best fits your niche ... whether it is your niche's main keyword or your company's name.
    Good branding can be a powerful SEO tool.
  5. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    Being easy to remember is pretty key. Yes, it needs to be short, but it also needs to be catchy enough that people don't forget it regardless.
  6. lowrider.STi Member

Message Count:
    Short, catchy and containing one or two keywords. If you can mix these three, you have a good domain.
  7. Amazed

Asher ross Member

Message Count:
    A keyword within the domain related to our business can be really helpful to earn quick online benefits for a business website.
  8. bryce12 Member

Message Count:
    Here is my domain name checklist:

1) Main keyword in domain name, exact match domain is he best
    2) .COM preferable but if that isn't available then get .NET or .ORG
    3) Short and catchy with maximum 2 or 3 words
    4) No hyphens in the domain name.
  9. John814s New Member

Message Count:
    Don't make your domain extremely long. Don't use hyphens in your domain. Try and put at least one word that relates to your site in your domain.
  10. Breezy

Mustaxina Member

Message Count:
    Another very important factor when choosing a domain is to make sure there is no possible ambiguity about it. For example, I remember a museum of wheat, mills and bakery in general that wanted to use the domain Sunflour.com - a witty pun and remarkable name. But I advised them against using this name, for the simple reason that people might just think it was Knology of Kansas and end up on a wholly different site. Remember that Web surfers, like all people, are not infallible, so try to make your domain unambiguous and "fool-proof".
  11. Bauss Member

Message Count:
    The name makes a good domain, without a name you don't have a brand, and the extension is also very important. I wouldn't start a website without owning at least the .com.
  12. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    I prefer domains names with keywords in them. One or two words is best, but they're getting harder and harder to find. The domain name needs to be catchy and easy to say. Also, they need to not include any unusual or unintentional words when spelled out.
  13. tetutato Member

Message Count:
    Easy to remember and catchy. Don't pick those keyword domains...
  14. leenathomas New Member

Message Count:
    A website domain name should be short, unique and mainly it should be related to your business product name so every can easily identify your business or product.
  15. ohiotom76 Member

Message Count:
    I pretty much only use .com, since I'm always worried someone will forget that my site is a .net or .org site and mistype it at some later date. I also double, triple check that the domain doesn't accidentally spell out something embarrassing or that could be read the wrong way, lol.
  16. Artistic

SpringBreeze New Member

Message Count:
    Here's my list:
    1. Short. It should be easy to remember.
    2. Related to the subject of your site or your name. I usually look at a site's name first to have an idea what the site is about. Sometimes, it's also helpful to have the title of your site the same as your domain name.
    3. One-of-a-kind. You don't want to have the same name as someone else where all that differentiates you from them is a letter, a hyphen, the word "the", and etc.
    4. Memorable. Something so unique that a year later, a visitor will see your name and remember it.
    And I prefer .coms. I guess it's because it's what everyone knows. It's kind of traditional for me.
  17. Fine

Duke Member

Message Count:
    There are certainly some good ideas mentioned already but I'll add my $.02 CDN anyway.
    • .com or .net, there has been no proven preferential treatment between one extension or the other. If you can get the .com then get it but if you can't, don't sweat it.
    • Keyword or keyword phrase in the name will help tremendously.
    • I don't think the short is necessarily better, my girlfriend would agree. While I do agree that you don't want a url like hello-and-welcome-this-is-my-website.com, my-website.com is perfectly fine. I don't know how your memory works but there are plenty of short url sitenames that I've forgotten over my years online; more than I remember that's for sure.
    • Hyphenating your url keywords makes no proven difference whatsoever (at least not one that I've encountered), oftentimes that's all that's available anyway.
    No matter what you do, your site will always be easy for you to remember but will be forgetful to pretty much everyone else. I wouldn't put any stock into catchy or memorable, relevant will trump it every single time I'd wager.
  18. MustangV10 Member

Message Count:
    Something that's relevant to the contents of the website. No point in having a website called 'granniesapples.com' if your site has content about quad-biking.
  19. Asleep

DrRipley Member

Message Count:
    Great tips from everyone here, thanks for sharing! I would also like to add what I like to look at when choosing domains, which is readability. I personally don't mind if the domain name is long, but if the name is readable or familiar to the eyes then I'm okay with it. The typography of the letters should be easy to understand so I wouldn't use words that can be easily misinterpreted or misspelled like "resurrection".
  20. Artistic

mimisweb New Member

Message Count:
    Great suggestions! I have a client who is insistent on using the word "adept" in the domain name, meaning "highly skilled." Definitely a cool meaning, but I think you have to keep in mind "5th grader speech" when deciding on a domain. As some of you already mentioned, you don't want folks to have to Google how to spell your domain name or worse yet, try a couple of spellings and possibly pull up another site (God forbid a competitor's!) Most people will just get frustrated and abandon the search all together.