Clicky

What would you like to see in a search engine?

Discussion in 'Other Search Engines' started by cheesecake, Sep 20, 2012.

1. cheesecake New Member

Message Count:
    As a frequent Internet user, I actually find Google to be a bit bland. The search engine itself does not offer that much more than searching. I mean, I know they have altered their algorithm to prevent spam from rising to the top of the search engine. Yet, I still see a lot of these sites show up on my search results and I don't seem to find anything unique.

My question is what would make the perfect search engine? Are there certain features that you would love to have on it?
  2. EmmaKille Member

Message Count:
    I want results for my queries.
  3. onlinebizgal Member

Message Count:
    I really do not need any bells and whistles or anything extra from my search engine. I simply want a search engine that will find me good results that tie in to what I am looking for. I do not want to shift through results that have nothing to do with what I am searching for.
  4. Cool

Paulo F Member

Message Count:
    I would likea Search Engine company that focus on just that.
    Google wants to get their hands on everything, and as any company will do, all their products help each other, so in turn all their products will be less helpfull to their clients as they are more focused on the company itself. I am not saying google is diferent than any other corporation out there, i am just saying that their search engine is getting less and less reliable while results on first page are more and more from google advert clients.

Theres also the suspicion that google gives an edge to sites related with google+ profiles.
  5. Cheeky

Jessi Active Member

Message Count:
    So what do YOU want from the search engine then? Personally, I'm okay with it being a bit bland because I usually go looking for information. I don't want something obscure. I want the facts. If I want something 'quirky', so to speak, then I search specifically in a way to pull those items up.
  6. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    Google's blandness is what I like. It has a simple and direct interface. I even have it as my browser homepage because it's simple and loads quickly.
  7. Healthcare Member

Message Count:
    I agree. It is one of the simple interface i have ever seen.
  8. TJenkins602 Member

Message Count:
    I would like to see a search engine that provides relevant results to what I type into the search bar. That's all I require. Anything else, like bells whistles and cowbells could actually take away from the experience.
  9. HDHarper Member

Message Count:
    I want a search engine that filters out sites, pages, blogs that haven't been updated in 3 years. I would also like that search engine to place the search results in a hierarchy that sites that have a 50/50 ratio, meaning their hard backlinks are equal ratio to their social bookmarking back links, near the top.

It's too easy to spam social bookmarking. Frankly, I think it should be weighted differently.
  10. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    Interesting question! What I definitely would like would be a search engine that indexed images properly. Google Images isn't bad, but sometimes it's really hard to find the image you're looking for even with the right keywords and with Advanced Search. I don't know how it'd be possible to enhance image indexing, but I'm sure I'd like Google Images better if it happened.
  11. Shawn Member

Message Count:
    I would love to see an ability to search for specific types of websites like forums, blogs, social networks, directories, etc. I would use something like that frequently to be honest :)
  12. Breezy

maddie Member

Message Count:
    Yes like the others I would like the search results to be more accurate. I was looking up Google images and boy I think they have really gone bad to worse. Those search results are pitiful.
  13. Bored

thenextGeek Member

Message Count:
    Google is the best search engine today because it gives its users the search results that they are looking for. What more could you ask for? I just want to dive into this statement of yours, " The search engine itself does not offer that much more than searching.", well a search engine's job is to provide the best search results for its users and I think that Google is doing a perfect job in that field.

@bolded part
    A search engine should be able to provide quality and relevant search results to its users. No more, no less. However, I'm still not sure if there are still elements in which a search engine could improve on.
  14. Happy

darren777 New Member

Message Count:
    Everything I want to see in a search engine has been done by Google. I really don't see how they could make there search engine much better because it is already amazing and does not need improvement.
  15. titly555 Member

Message Count:
    I like to see good site (seo releted) which give me backlink. I like to search as my query.
  16. Curious

Nahin Member

Message Count:
    I wanna to see and get my result. :(
  17. shivanya New Member

Message Count:
    I want a search engine to give relevant results of what I need. That's all I require.
  18. BelCloud New Member

Message Count:
    I would like to be able to sift through categories of websites. So for example if I am looking for carrot, to be able to look only on cooking websites. That categorization should help people find more specific items that have common words.