Clicky

YAHOO IS NOT A SEARCH ENGINE!

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by carbonize, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    I'm posting this because I'm fed up people posting rubbish like Bing search is better than Yahoo or how poor Yahoo search is. Whenever you search on Yahoo the results you see have been provided by Bing.

2. Artistic

SenseiSteve Administrator

Message Count:
  3. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    Yup hence my thread since I am fed up of trying to educate people in individual threads ;)
  4. Fine

Duke Member

Message Count:
    lol someone needs a hug :tongue:
    SenseiSteve likes this.
  5. sidney Member

Message Count:
    Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the info. Yahoo's search results are a bit unrelated most of the time if you're searching for song lyrics, but for everything else, it pretty much answers what I need to know. I wonder why until now they haven't improved their search results to be as good as Google's.
  6. Daring

Hardison Member

Message Count:
    Oh, how Yahoo has fallen! I haven't used Yahoo is many years. I didn't realize that Bing was the search engine behind Yahoo. Very interesting.
  7. Stressed

makeithappen Active Member

Message Count:
    I didn't know that either, I always thought Yahoo had its own search engine. You learn something new every day!
  8. Ranma Member

Message Count:
    Yahoo used to have their own search engines based on the technologies they acquired from several oldest search engines. Back then Google didn't even exist. Later for a little while, Yahoo was powered by Google, then it was powered by Bing. In some countries, such as Yahoo Japan currently is still powered by Google.
  9. sidney Member

Message Count:
    So there's some symbiotic relationship going on with Yahoo and Google? If that's the case, then it's nice that these companies work together just like Apple and Samsung, minus the lawsuit.
  10. NwCsV New Member

Message Count:
    Great graphic!
    Yes I agree. I honestly go to Yahoo for the comments under the various news stories. Anything else is irrelevant.
  11. Breezy

maddie Member

Message Count:
    Ranma that is very interesting information. I know that yahoo is now powered by Google,but I did not know that at one time it was powered by Google.
    Thanks for sharing this information.
  12. HDHarper Member

Message Count:
    So, should you tailor your keyword density to what ranks higher in Bing and let Yahoo sort itself? Should you even bother submitting your site to Yahoo anymore?
  13. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    Sorry but seriously WTF?
  14. Blah

iRichard Member

Message Count:
    Thank you, Carbonize! I use to think that Yahoo was a search engine until you mentioned it in this post that it wasn't. Lol. But, now I know that it isn't.
  15. Angelic

zuukko Member

Message Count:
    Oh wow... Didn't know that, not long till Yahoo will fall completely.
  16. tommymac Member

Message Count:
    Just because it's powered by Bing doesn't mean that Yahoo isn't a search engine.
  17. Amazed

jameskellin Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, but I'm not so interested into Bing either. I think i will stick with Google. :)
  18. Cynical

carbonize Active Member

Message Count:
    Yes it does, it means exactly that. Bing is the search engine and Yahoo just displays results returned by the Bing search engine.
  19. Asleep

DrRipley Member

Message Count:
    Nifty piece of info, thanks! I guess it's not that all surprising that Yahoo! can't fight alone in its competition with Google.

Also lol, that made me "wat" as well.
  20. Bashful

crossunitedfate Member

Message Count:
    You're correct. But that's a very common misconception. It's sort of like how for the longest time Google was seen as just a search engine. And for a long time that was true until they started offering other services.